In most countries around the world, especially in developing counties, the Christmas season is a period when our energy consumption is at an all-time high from bright lights to high electricity-consuming appliances that keeps running around the clock. It is well known that during the Christmas holidays a sharp rise in energy consumption, leading to higher emissions of CO2 can be seen there have been studies that even prove this. In the US alone it was found that during this festive season energy consumption increased by 30 % due to the overuse of appliances and lights. According to the study done in 2008 using data from a 2008 US Department of Energy report and the World Bank, bright lights strung on American trees, rooftops and lawns account for 6.63 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity consumption every year which is a lot when compared to what most poor countries use in a year.
In general, energy bills are higher when there is higher demand but then during the holiday season, and it's also during wintertime so, utilities at houses work a little extra to keep the community bright. In some cases, simple energy-efficiency upgrades can even save homes as much energy as installing solar panels. So, energy efficiency is the key to ensuring a safe, reliable, affordable, and sustainable energy system for the future. It is seen as key to resolving climate change and improving the lives of people and creating economic prosperity. This can be achieved using solar energy.
In general, people don’t often associate solar energy with the holiday season. Solar-powered lights generate their energy during the day. Along with batteries and a few hours of sunshine in the afternoon, it is more than enough to keep the light shining bright.
Reasons to power your Christmas lights with solar energy
- Outdoor solar Christmas lights are all about convenience. They are cheaper than standard lights. This is one good reason to switch over.
- When using solar energy to power up this holiday season you can save money on your electricity bill and also have little more cash in your pocket to buy more gifts.
- Solar is becoming more and more popular around the world, having your home and Christmas lights powered by solar energy puts you on the list of homeowners who are energy conscious and also care about protecting the world.
- Switching to solar-powered products is a great way to increase energy efficiency.
- Solar-powered string lights are something that doesn’t need to be plugged in and doesn’t require any extension cords. They are attached to a small solar panel that can be kept on the roof and this can power up. They take hours to charge which can be done during the day. They cost about the same as standard LED string lights. Those celebrating Christmas can find colorful lights for their homes or trees. With a little bit of effort, it might be the right choice for your home.
- For outdoor decorations, there are plenty of choices for solar-powered lawn and house decorations like trees, fences, and even more.
Generally speaking, most of the solar Christmas lights come as sets of strings and ropes along with a panel that receives all of the energy, connecting to an integrated battery, and powers the lights accordingly. They are efficient, durable, and best used for tree and party decoration. They are also durable in all weather.
Going solar is a decision that is not only for your benefit but also a major contribution to the environment which is something we need at the moment amidst the challenges of climate change. On a global scale going solar, this festive season can truly make a big difference for a greener environment and happier homes across the world. This would be the ultimate Christmas present we give to planet earth.